ESTABLISHED SINCE 1931
Clarke Broome & Fleming has been providing first class accountancy services to the Fylde Coast and Blackpool business community since 1931 and will be celebrating its 85th birthday in 2016 a landmark that will truly illustrate the long and esteemed history that the practice has enjoyed.
That history began with the firm's foundation, in Leopold Grove, Blackpool, where the original founder, Mr Percy V Clarke, established the business above the retail premises of Ernest Flower, a gentleman's outfitter. This proved to be an excellent move, in more ways than one, as Ernest Flower later became a prominent client of the practice.
The firm continued to flourish during the hard days of the Second World War and the dawn of peace brought about changes within the business. Released from military duty, Percy's son, Ralph, and another professional, J Bernard Broome, joined the practice which, due to its enlargement, sought new accommodation above the offices of John Budd & Co. Solicitors, in South King Street, Blackpool.
This move proved to be extremely timely for the practice that was now known as P.V. Clarke, Son & Broome. At this time, it took advantage of its prime town centre location to forge many close links with some of the businesses that it still retains on its books today, even if the faces behind those businesses may have changed and ownership passed to a second generation of entrepreneurs.
The 1960s & 70s
The next major development occurred in 1964 when Arthur Fleming, a Scot who had undertaken his national service at a local RAF base, made the bold move to stay South of the Border and join the practice as a partner. At this point, the firm changed its name to P.V.Clarke, Broome & Fleming, to recognise the addition of the Scottish Chartered Accountant, who was brought in to replace Mr Percy Clarke, who was planning to retire one year later. It also packed its files once more and made a move to Cookson Street.
Ralph Clarke had already taken something of a side-step away from the practice some seven years earlier, when he had become Managing Director of J.W.Stringer Ltd, a local department store, based in Lytham St Annes, which had been acquired by the Clarke family and various clients of the practice. On this basis, the name change made perfect sense and the firm continued to thrive under the new arrangements, to the extent that an increased size dictated another move, in 1975, into the Church Street offices that it still occupies today.
One of those making that last move was Mr Martin V. Clarke, who had joined the firm established by his grandfather back in 1971. He also followed in his grandfather's footsteps by studying for the same Association educational structure, which stood him in good stead, with Martin gaining qualification in 1980 and a partnership in 1982.
The 1980s to the present day
1990 saw the retirement of J. Bernard Broome, at which point his interest in the firm was bought out by the remaining partners. The revised partnership embarked on another challenge, entering a new era which witnessed the introduction of audit regulations and the need to satisfy the standards set by the ACCA, the firm's governing body. If that was not enough, the methods of dealing with accounts workloads were also evolving, 1991 bringing the introduction of the first computer as well as the introduction of payroll services and accounts production software.
In 1996, Martin Clarke bought the interest of Arthur Fleming and of Lew Dean, a local fellow Certified Accountant who wished to retire. Both Arthur and Lew continued to work in the practice whilst Martin re-built the infrastructure that would accommodate their retirements, as well as catering for the 1996 introduction of self-assessment for UK tax payers.
Clarke Broome & Fleming now operates with Managers overseeing day-to-day operations and supporting Martin Clarke. Peter Rees deals with the larger, corporate clients, with computerised systems, who require Management accounts.
As Clarke Broome & Fleming moves forward, it is ever mindful of its roots and the focus on quality that has traditionally underpinned all of its operations. This long-established high street practice has built a reputation for honesty, integrity and excellent customer service, with these factors allowing it to retain a client base that has grown and evolved, in many cases, alongside the practice.
Despite this heritage, however, the practice is ever mindful of the need to innovate and stay abreast of the latest developments within the world of accountancy. With this combination, the firm will continue to serve the needs of the local community, in which it has evolved, in a first-class manner.
CONTACT US TODAY
Clarke Broome & Fleming, Chartered Certified Accountants,
A 223 Church Street, Blackpool, Lancashire. FY1 3PB T 01253 621178 F 01253 752348 E firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTERED AS AUDITORS AND REGULATED FOR A RANGE OF INVESTMENTS BUSINESS ACTIVITIES BY THE ASSOCIATION OF CHARTERED CERTIFIED ACCOUNTANTS
ESTABLISHED SINCE 1931